From: elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net
[mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of Scott Ellington
Sent: Tuesday, February 01, 2011 2:16 PM
To: Elecraft Reflector
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Zero beat

Not really, it's just the way we do it.  Years ago, matching frequencies
meant literally listening for the zero-frequency beat.  It was always
difficult, because the audio response of any receiver, as well as that of
the human ear, drops off at low frequencies.  Now you can achieve the same
thing by matching the audio frequencies of the spot tone and the received
signal, both of which are within the audio response range of both the
receiver and our hearing.  One can easily match frequencies within fraction
of a Hz with this method.  This only works, however, because receivers now
have tracking sidetones, generated by exactly the same frequencies which
produce the received signal beat note.

73,

Scott  K9MA

On Feb 1, 2011, at 1:03 PM, Ralph Parker wrote:

> Funny how 'zero beat' means something different today compared to years
ago.

Scott Ellington
Madison, Wisconsin
USA