Chip,

My experience with the KX1, K1 and K2 indicates that you will find
little variation in power gain, even when the hfe of the PA transistors
vary considerably.  There are design parameters such as the collector
load resistance that swamp the variations - and the PA output circuit is
designed for that load resistance.

Take a look at Experimental Methods in RF Design - the section on
Practical Power Amplifiers, and you will find that the most important
consideration is in the formula R(load) = Vcc (squared)/2 times Power
Out.  So the load resistance is the predominate factor in determining
the power output capability of the amplifier - as long as the PA
transistor can stand the required current and voltage for that power.

73,
Don W3FPR