Jim Brown wrote:
>On 2/19/2011 7:32 AM, Ian White GM3SEK wrote:
>> Very few US manufacturers are capable of in-house testing on 50Hz, so
>> it's good to see that Elecraft have placed a KPA500 with Brendan.
>
>//I can assure you that Elecraft engineers are smart enough to design
>for 50 Hz power.

Of course; but smart companies like Elecraft will also take good care to
*verify* their designs under actual conditions of use.

Operation from a 50Hz supply will push almost every aspect of a design
much closer to its margins, especially the temperature rise (which is
notoriously difficult to predict). Far too often, we in Europe have
literally had our fingers burned!

Jim himself has carried out a very important thermal stress test of the
KPA500, operating for many hours in an RTTY contest at a high CQ:RX
ratio. Those results ("stayed cool as a cucumber") are very
encouraging... so please can we look forward to a repeat on 50Hz, where
everything will get hotter?

--

73 from Ian GM3SEK
http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek