On Wed, 2005-25-05 at 18:27 +0200, Erik Linder wrote:
> My manual says (at page 29) "Some holes in the front panel was masked..."
>
> I have no mask-tape over the holes, and there has never been any tape
> over the holes. It's painted grey on both sides.

The holes that are masked are in the four corners, on the top and bottom
edges, not on the front. They are the screw holes for the 2D connectors
that hold the case together, not the holes for the front panel controls
and connectors.

Are you sure they are not masked? The masking tape will have been
painted over, and if the bit covering the actual hole has been poked
out, it can be hard to tell that it is there. I had a couple that I
thought hadn't been masked until I looked very carefully.

> What is the purpose of masking?
> 1) Just a manufacturing thing?
> 2) To get un-painted metal for better grounding of the box?

Number 2 - for grounding.

If you install a KPA100 you'll have to grind the paint of the inside of
the side panels in a couple spots.

> How do I move on from here?

Good question. If they really weren't masked, you may want to
scrape/sand/grind the paint off around those holes. I'm not sure how
much it would really matter.

--
73, Brian
VE7NGR