Brian:

If you have ANY metal nearby (e.g., railing), you could use the "vise-grips"
mount and a hamstick, or better an Outbacker.  The mount is basically a set of
pliers with a stud welded on the tip.  Using the Outbacker gives you the
freedom to change bands simply by changing taps.

This portable antenna system is easy to set up and move, works well, and is
relatively inconspicuous.  The great advantage is that it will be resonant on
your operating frequency and not require a tuner.

73, Jim K5HO

Nunquam Secundum

  <snip>
So - any antenna suggestions? Preferably something inexpensive and easy
to build as I have almost no tools here. Some ideas I've been thinking
about are a random wire (using the tuner), a homebrew buddipole, perhaps
a magnetic loop to stick by the window, or a shortened vertical.

Brian, VE7NGR<