You are not alone Alexey. And while some say that if we don't design our
rigs from scratch we really aren't doing anything more than soldering parts
together, G. Marconi himself merely modified and assembled off-the-shelf
components already known to many scientists to create the first practical
radio communications equipment.

It's the particular joy of taking a pile of parts and creating a working
radio that we crave. We don't pretend to re-invent the technology. It's not
rational. We're fine not building our own vacuum tubes or transistors. But
at some point the building process is diminished by the complexity of the
parts - plugging in a pre-assembled circuit board, for example, doesn't
satisfy that craving described so well by many as just "melting solder".

Yet, a rig like the K3 has its own challenges. After all, even if you
consider each whole module or pc board as one part, it's got more parts in
it than some of my homebrew rigs built of individuals capacitors, inductors,
resistors and transistors.

To me it's a reminder that I prize rational thought so much because I so
seldom experience it :-)

73,

Ron AC7AC