My apologies in advance for an off-topic reply to an off-topic post.

Having been through a relatively minor disaster myself, I can report
that neither the Salvation Army nor the Red Cross provided a
particularly useful, if any, contribution to the emergency response
effort, although both began touting for donations within days of the
event. Granted they do provide valuable welfare assistance in
non-emergency times.

Here's my list of proven useful people & organizations for disaster
response:

1. Fire Dept, Medical personnel, Police & Military (including Urban
Search & Rescue teams from VK, Japan, China, Taiwan, UK, USA and maybe
elsewhere)

2. The utility workers who got the power & water supplies working (the
most undervalued group in my opinion)

3. Ad-hoc community groups who distributed hot food and drinkable water,
and helped by making a start with the damage cleanup.

4. Amateur Radio Emergency Communicators, and the hams who worked to
keep the local VHF/UHF repeaters operational.

The best way for hams to help is to increase your own preparedness for
providing emergency communications, and to contribute time, expertise
and/or donations to amateur radio emergency communications organizations.

73 Paul ZL3IN