Hi Shane,

Fred has it exactly right:

On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 5:04 PM, Fred Jensen <k6...@foothill.net> wrote:

>  So that's my main point in this question now … how much will
>> I understand from assembling the radio?
>
> As much as you want to.

If you just stuff the boards with the parts, you will still end up
with a nice radio but perhaps not learn much.  My personal goals are
met by finding the overall circuit in the schematic and looking that
up in one of my electronics books (I, too, work in software but my
degree is in general engineering.  It has been a long time since
college).

Most of the circuits are duplicated many times (filters, etc.) and I
do not attempt to figure out specific details of each one, so I don't
spend all that much time with my nose in a book.  My goal is to get to
the concepts 1 step below the block diagram; that's all.  For me, this
is fun.  Ham radio is a hobby, after all, and it is supposed to be
fun.

This thread started out with a question of whether the K2 will be
replaced and if it is still a good radio.  I think that question has
been answered affirmatively, but that by itself won't tell you if you
should buy a K2 or if you would enjoy building one.

What will be the most fun for you?

Another option to consider if you conclude that a K2 would provide you
with the most fun, but you don't want to build it yourself, is to hire
one of the regular builders from this list to do that for you.  There
are several with tons of experience.

73, Byron N6NUL
----
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the 2011 Cal QSO Party 1-2 Oct 2011
- www.cqp.org