*Geoff,*
*
***When you look at the THP products you will see quality inside. The
KPA-500 is an extremely good design with excellent specs and if you use an
amplifier you want it to be clean, robust and simple to use...the KPA-500
meets all the above.*
*
*
*Now if you look at the Ameritron product you will notice the quality of the
design/build IS lacking and is priced accordingly.*
*
*
*I have had many amplifiers including solid state units and I can tell you I
have done everything to break the one I have for field test and it has
performed flawlessly.*
*
*
*I don't have shares in Elecraft but I am a convert to their products after
many years of throwing my money away on equipment that needed upgrading to
meet my requirements and that always entailed buying a new model.*
*
*
*Whatever decision you make, try before you buy because nobody wants to pay
top dollar for an average amplifier on the used market.*
*
*
*YMMV*
*
*
*73's*
*Gary
*

On 2 April 2011 19:10, Geoff Wolf <liltechdud...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Well for myself anyway, I wouldn't say that the price of the thing
> wouldn't matter. It seems to me anyway that $2K seems a bit high. I'm
> imaging that most of the discussion on price so far has been
> speculation.
>
> I'm in the process of getting my feet wet with Elecraft. I'm hoping to
> have a K3 with a P3 up and running by the end of May. Since I'm
> setting up my first shack, I'm not diving into the pool of kickers
> just yet. However, I'm leaving room in my antenna plans, etc. for an
> amplifier down the road. I've figured that picturing a ~500W would be
> pretty spot on. I don't want to start getting close to a kW since the
> extra power starts to bring unwanted consequences.
>
> The KPA500 is news to me as of tonight. I'm glad to see that Elecraft
> is really widening their RF product line to include this kind of
> stuff. I can definitely say that I'll be keeping an eye out for the
> KPA500 in the future be because it's a perfect match for the K3.
>
> Can't wait for the details!
>
> Geoffrey Wolf
> University of Pittsburgh '14
> AB3LS - Amateur radio call sign
> gr...@pitt.edu
> ab...@arrl.net
> liltechd...@liltechdude.com
> (717)319-1396
>

> Sent from my iPad
>
> On Apr 1, 2011, at 9:21 PM, Martin Staffa <geitaem...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Does anybody know the cost of this unit? Not that it will matter Hi N1KGP
> > Martin

*VK4FD - Motorhome Mobile
Elecraft Equipment
K3 #679, KPA-500 #018