In between sessions of slowly continue with my K2 build, I have been
looking at some of the available mods / options boards and reading the
manual. Naturally, this has led to some questions.

My K1 has a K6XX CW tuning indicator, and I'm considering one of those
for the K2, and I know I will be using some digital modes so Don
W3FPR's audio line out mod may be on the list. I used a K3 + P3 for
the first time during WPX SSB recently, and that amazing combination
has me considering the Z1000B options from Clifton Labs to interface
with a pan adapter.

However, one of the things I plan on doing with my K2 is taking it in
to the field, and the manual's discussion of options for saving power
look like they will be really handy, but somewhat incompatible with
the idea of the above options.  Further reading however, seems to
indicate that the AUXBUS sends all of the necessary information out on
mode change, band change, etc.

Is enough known about the AUXBUS protocol to code up new PICs that
would monitor for different changes and selectively turn on or off
these option boards as is done for the official Elecraft boards?

For example, if the mode is SSB or POWER is BATT, then the CW tuning
indicator could be turned off.  The line out module could look for the
RTTY filters to be activated (thus assuming that means a digital
mode).

Alternatively, how are others handling the increased power consumption
of options boards when not in the shack?  I know they are measured in
mA, but, then, so are the LED's on the SWR meter.

--
73, Byron N6NUL
----