All frequencies in the K3, including the sidetone, are derived from the master
oscillator.  The way this is done guarantees that when the received signal
audio frequency matches the sidetone, the receiver is tuned to exactly the
frequency of the received signal.  This is just a matter of arithmetic,
performed precisely by the DSP and phase-lock loops.  As far as I know, every
receiver with a tracking sidetone uses this method, and can be calibrated the
same way.  Some receivers, however, like the IC-765, use a separate audio
oscillator for the sidetone, in which case some other method must be used.

73,

Scott  K9MA

On Apr 5, 2011, at 4:08 PM, David Robertson wrote:

> What is the reference for the sidetone frequency within the K3? Is in the
> K3's master oscillator? If you are in fact changing the master oscillator
> frequency to match K3's readout to an actual frequency, and if the sidetone
> frequency is derived from the same master oscillator aren't you defeating the
> purpose of your calibration. It seems logical to me to a method of
> calibration that your reference is not derived from the same oscillator you
> are trying to calibrate.

Scott Ellington
Madison, Wisconsin
USA