Indeed, being able to talk to a remote tuner without adding extra control
lines is desireable and can be achieved.

One method, which I used in a 1950s vintage homemade link coupled remote
tuner, makes use of "frequency sensitive" relays in the remote tuner to
control the tuner's band switching tasks, along with a simple servo
arrangement which tunes the motor driven variable capacitors for minimum SWR
as seen at the coax's connection to the link circuit during Tune.

Although the DC power required could be fed via the coax, I opted to use a
separate cable.

I believe that because the ICs used to generate audio tones and to decode
audio tones are so inexpensive these days, controlling remote devices by
means of audio tones sent down the coax feeder might be a better option.

The use of Fibre Optic in lieu of copper to carry multiple control tones is
an option I have been pondering for use in the future, but probably too
expensive for a commercial product.

73,
Geoff
GM4ESD