From: Dick <k8...@mho.com>
To: 'Dale Putnam' <daleput...@hotmail.com>; elecraft <elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
Sent: Tue, Apr 12, 2011 8:27 pm
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Ligntning protection

Dale,

I have a good friend (Mike Higgins K6AER) who worked on "lightning proofing"
cell tower sights; and I can say you both really understand the importance
of good grounding!!

I have the good fortune (not so good in thunderstorms) to live on top of a
hill (6700 ft) south of Denver.  Over the years I have erected an "antenna
farm", and devoted quite a bit of time working on (with Mikes help) the
lightning protection issue.

To the best of my knowledge, my work has paid off; to date (knock on wood) I
have not had any damage from lightning (and more than one time I have
forgotten to disconnect my equipment). I can't verify that I have been hit
since I started putting up my "farm" in 1994, but a few years ago one of my
neighbors called after we arrived home from an evening out to let me know
the fire dept had been at my house an hour or so ago.  I called the
dispatcher, and he told me that a couple of individuals saw one of my towers
take a hit, and called it in.  He told me they responded to check out our
house;  and after talking to him, I checked out my equipment and everything
seemed to work just fine (coax and rotor lines were disconnected, but
everything was plugged in).

Mike lives about 5 miles from me, and knows he has taken a few hits over the
years; and to date, has not suffered in damage.  However, he has also taken
the time to adequately ground his station and tower.

As you and I both know, one ground rod pounded in the ground right outside
the shack is not going to do the trick;  it is not going to dissipate the
charge.  I think the real "issue" for the vast majority of amateurs is, they
do not have the necessary real-estate to install a good ground system; and
second, the cost to do so (especially with today's prices for copper), is a
fairly expensive endeavor.  Additionally, you have to evaluate the "risk";
I lived in Central CA for ten years (79-89), and had two or three ground
rods pounded in the ground.  But we had less than one storm a year, so the
risk was low;  and I didn't have the land to really have a good system
anyway.

Dick  K8ZTT
Franktown, CO