Lew, it might be some type of armoured coax. In one type, which IIRC goes by
the name of Armadilo, the coax is encased in a flexible metal tube. When the
flexible tube is covered by a non-metallic jacket, the armour feels like a
single wire wound spiral-wise - and 1/2 turn per inch sounds about right.

Again IIRC both 50 ohm and 75 ohm armoured coax of this type is (or was)
manufactured.

73,
Geoff
GM4ESD

Lew Phelps K6LMP wrote on April 13, 2011 at 17:58 +0100:

>I was browsing through the local Salvation Army Thrift Store (where I
>sometimes go looking for low-priced antique treasures), and stumbled across
>a 50-foot length of RG-8-type coax cable. At the asking price of $6.00, I
>couldn't pass it up.
>
> It has Amphenol male "UHF" connectors. And absolutely NO markings on the
> cable itself indicating manufacturer or type. The OD of the cable varies
> from point to point, but averages about .405 inch, which puts it in the
> RG-8b family. It is quite flexible, and clearly stranded center conductor,
> not solid.   Capacitance of the 50 foot cable was measured 1155 pF, or
> 23.1 pF per foot, which eliminates some RG-8 flavors that have 30 pF per
> foot.  The only distinguishing feature of the cable is that there appears
> to be a wire would spiral-wise (1/2 turn per inch) outside the standard
> foil shield and under the exterior rubber sheath.  I've never need that
> construction before on any RG-8 cable.  (I haven't cut it open to verify
> the construction, because I don't want to have to de-solder and reconnect
> the Amphenol connector.)

<snip>