I found an easy way to fix the tilt bail was to tie a few turns of string or
thin cord around the bail and tighten it up with a rod looped through the
cord and twisted a few turns - just adjust the tension until the bail fits
easily between the feet, fix the feet and then release the cord.

73

John G3XDY
K2 #4713

------------------------
I've posted this method several times over the past several years, but it
appears that another posting might be in order.

One of the true TESTS of the Elecraft builder's good nature is the
installation of one of those (damned) tilt bails!!!  They are terribly
stiff and will try anyone's patience.

After a couple years of periodic frustration, here's how I now do it...

One of the worst parts of installing the front feet and tilt bail on is
trying to fight the bail while having such a small amount of working
distance between the bottom cover of the radio and the feet. So...

Initially, DO NOT use the 4-40 x 7/16" screws specified in the assembly
manual. Find (somewhere) four (4) 4-40 x 1" screws and use them to install
the feet AND the bail... this extra length gives you MORE than ample
'fighting room' when you are installing the bail. Once the long screws have
been snugged down, and the feet and bail have been properly seated, replace
(one-at-a-time) each of the longer 4-40 screws with the 4-40 x 7/16" screws
specified in the manual. Since the feet and bail will be held securely in
place by the remaining (already tightened) screws, replacement will be a
snap and you won't have that overwhelming urge to heave the radio (or at
least the bottom cover) up against the wall.

Works fer me!

73,

Tom Hammond   N0SS