Steve,

I have a K2, not a K3.  It's a wonderful rig, but the K3 is better at
everything except running off a battery.  If you can afford it, get a
K3.

John rightly says that with 10 watts, you can talk to hordes of people
using digital modes;  also true with CW.  Even with those modes,
though, you will find some people you can copy clearly who simply
can't hear you.  With SSB, that's much more common.  While you will be
able to talk to a lot of people using 5 or 10 watts SSB, it will be
dependent on good propagation, and perhaps on good antennas on their
part.  Which still means you'll have lots of fun, and when or if you
buy more power you'll still find QSOs you can't complete -- just keep
your expectations realistic.

I think John's comment about "adding SSB" is confusing.  The K2
requires an additional module to have either SSB or digital
capability, but the K3 will do it all in the base configuration.
(except FM).  (and AM?).  I think what he means is that he'd recommend
you use digital modes till you add the 100 watt module, and only then
start to use SSB.  My recommendation would be to get the K3/10, put up
a dipole, explore digital modes, see how many people you can reach
with SSB, and eventually add 100 watts.  Oh yes, having the autotuner
will make it much easier to put up a simple multiband antenna.
Without the tuner, you'll have to have a well-tuned antenna, and it
will most likely be for just one or two bands.

    Peter W0LLN