Hello Stan,

This is an interesting observation.   For reasons I'll not elaborate on here
:), I ended up with two front panels for my K1,  serial #2822.  Both panels
were bought from Elecraft within a few weeks of one another.  Both have the
same brand VFO pot with same ID markings, so I believe they are identical
parts with the same nominal specs.   However, each has a very different
"feel".  One is very smooth indeed - I can't feel the "wire effect" or hear
any noise as I move the wiper. It's smooth and creamy.  The second is like
yours - it has a definite "wire feel" to it and I can easily hear it when I
move the wiper.  The "wire effect" pot is  the one that ended up being wired
into my K1.  I intend to swap it over for the "smooth and creamy" one, which
is currently sitting in the cupboard attached to the unused FP board.

So, I figure there are significant differences between individual instances
of this pot.  Perhaps I have two at opposite ends of the spectrum.  I know
which I prefer.

73,
John
VK7JB