After my post yesterday about the accuracy of the Heath "Cantenna" dummy
load being found to be "off value", I started wondering about the original
specifications and did a little search.

Heath spec'd the Cantenna as having a VSWR of "<1.5:1" across the HF range.

Now, if the reactance is negligible over that range (the Cantenna is rated
for frequencies as high as 900 MHz so the reactance should be very low below
30 MHz), then a perfectly "in spec" Cantenna might show as little as 35 ohms
or as much as 75 ohms and still meet "factory specifications".

That's something to consider whenever working with older gear. Modern
manufacturing techniques have spoiled most of us with cheap and highly
accurate devices and parts that would have been simply unavailable or
incredibly expensive only a few years ago.

A dummy load with an SWR >1.5:1 is a fine dummy load for most purposes, but
when doing things like critical power measurements, etc., it's good to
realize that the actual value may not be as close to the desired value as
one hopes.

Ron AC7AC