Jerry,

All that transistor has to do is remain in an open state between the
collector and emitter during receive and provide a path to ground
between collector and emitter during transmit.  Any transistor that has
a low saturation voltage will serve in that capacity - it is just a
switching transistor.  I do not know why the 2N4124 was chosen other
than that there are other 2N4124s in the KX1 design, and it is easier if
most of the transistors are the same.

Try the 2N3904 and see what happens.  The worst thing that can happen is
if you have to clip it out, you will lose the transistor, but they are
quite inexpensive.

73,
Don W3FPR