Keep in mind automotive power busses can and do have steady state voltages
over 15V and even 16V when you include allowable ripple.  Power busses are
a terrible terrible place.

Assuming the K3 designers' had in mind a car's electrical system, the
choice of the BZW50-15 (in the QRP version) puts the effective clamping
voltage above 16.6 volts and even then it is a gradual rise in clamping
action vs. voltage.  Then if you take away the 1/2 volt or so drop from
the reverse protection, the net bus voltage inside can be more than 16V
steady state and even higher for brief surges.  Yuck.  Clearly the
designers' know about real-life DC power busses and designed the rest of
the radio to take the abuse with some margin and rely on that clamp diode
to blow the fuse should things get hopelessly ridiculous on the power
source.

So the good news is the K3 should be able to take the smack in the face
from what I assume is a PWM style battery charger when in trickle mode.

However, I would not make a habit of it and heed others' advice about
staying within the 15V limit with a good DC power supply or charge with
the radio disconnected.  It should have less electrical noise as a side
benefit.

John