I have a heavy-ish 73crc knob on my K2, and I prefer the feel with the
felt washer completely removed. It doesn't drift when bumped although it
could be that I have an especially stiff encoder. The finger dimple is
too small for my stubby finger, so I stuck an Elecraft-supplied finger
dimple over the top, making it a bit of a Frankenstein knob. So far the
encoder shaft remains unbent, touch wood.

73 de Paul ZL3IN