Hi All,

My wife is usually at a complete loss to pick out gifts that I really need
or want when it comes to my ham radio stuff.  Recently I was working on a
small building project, and using my Opti-visor magnifier and a small
flashlight to inspect a circuit board.  Apparently she had just seen an ad
on TV about some new lighted magnifier reading glasses being marketed by
Foster Grant.  On a whim, and sort of as an early Father's Day gift, she
picked up a pair for me.  Guess what?  I like them!

She got a pair of 2.5 diopter magnifers (you can get various levels of
magnification), which is good.  It's a bit stronger than what I usually use
for reading, but for close up work it is better to have the extra
magnification.  I think that's also about what my Opti-visor magnification
is.

This new product by Foster Grant is called "Light Specs".  It has two super
bright LED's, one on each side, and each can be independently turned on.
They are very effective.  They are really intended for things like reading
at night in bed, etc., but I can think of all sorts of other uses.  Also, if
you turn even just one side on, they are a very effective flashlight if you
are walking in the dark.  Turn both on, and you have an exceptionally
well-lit path in front of you.

At my age, I have a problem which is probably due to a lifetime of abuse by
not wearing sun glasses often enough.  My vision is good otherwise (except
for needing "readers"), but in a low light situation, I need additional
light to read, etc.  That really makes it tough when working on electronics
projects, and I always have to get a good lamp in addition to what would
otherwise be reasonable room lighting.  It's difficult for me to look inside
a radio, in an otherwise well-lit room, and see the connections adequately.
These glasses are perfect for that, and "hands free".  The added
magnification makes it just that much better.  I'm also betting these will
be very helpful the next time I have to hunt for an SMD that went flying off
the workbench onto the floor!!!!!

I've also already found these to be very helpful around my operating table.
If I need to check a connection on the back of the radio, where the light
isn't apt to be nearly as good, these things solve that immediately.  They
would also be great for Field Day operating at night.

Anyway, I really like these, mainly because they are not nearly so bulky as
the Opti-visor, and actually can double for regular readers, although I
don't think I would substitute them for normal daily use.  They are a bit
bulkier than regular readers, but not terribly so.  They wouldn't be nearly
a total substitute for my Opti-visor, but they do a lot of what I otherwise
would use the Opti-visor for.  Of course, for just reading in bed, etc.,
they are excellent.

These things aren't  particularly cheap, which is something of a negative.
They cost around $25, but I have seen them on the internet for a bit
cheaper.  There are also some less expensive "look alikes", but I also saw
user reviews of those that weren't too complimentary of the quality.  It
remains to be seen how these hold up, but they seem to be pretty good
quality wise.  The "Achilles Heel" of these things will probably be the two
little slide switches to turn the lights on--one on each side.

They use CR1632 button cells for power (2 on each side), which are supposed
to last (per the ad) for around 50 hours.  Since one side is usually more
than enough illumination, I suppose you could stretch the battery life to
closer to 100 hours.  I've already ordered some battery replacements on the
internet at a fairly low price--much, much cheaper than Radio Shack or
Walgreens!

Anyway, I thought these might be of interest to some.  You folks with great,
young eyes, probably won't be interested, but I bet I'm not the only one out
there who could use a little help.  There are alternatives, of course, like
the head lamp gadgets, etc., but these are so much more comfortable and
practical.

Dave W7AQK

P.S.  I already posted this on QRP-L, but I started thinking about when I
was putting my K3 together.  Often I needed some "help" when looking inside
the chassis, like when trying to make sure the pins were all properly
aligned to seat the board inter-connections, etc.  I expect to have the same
issues when I put my KPA500 together!  So---FWIW!

Dave W7AQK

=======
http://www.pctools.com/
=======