This is an interesting and educational topic.  I haven't yet had to
ship  any equipment overseas, but there is a EU ham who wants to buy my
Ten-Tec 526/"6N2" transceiver if I decide to sell it (which I haven't -
it's second only to the FT-817 for convenience for portable work).

Though it's a quasi-governmental agency, the US Postal Service was
privatized several years ago.  As such, they are expected to make a
reasonable attempt at being profitable.  The "Flat Rate" boxes are the
latest attempt at being competitive with UPS and FedEx, at least for
shipments within the US (all 50 states).

There are probably an equal number of horror stories about packages
being damaged by USPS and the other carriers.

In the last year or so I've sold some ham equipment that was excess to
my needs.  One bit of value-added service that the buyers have enjoyed
is that I paid for professional packing at the local UPS Store.  Never a
problem.  It cost me a bit more, but I had the peace of mind knowing
that the gear would arrive at its destination in the same shape that it
left my hands.  After my mother passed away we cleaned out the condo and
shipped things that we wanted to keep from Florida to California.  Even
a music box with blown-glass figurines on top arrived with no damage.

An interesting thing about UPS is that in case of loss or damage, only
the shipper can file a claim.  By using the packing and shipping
services at the UPS Store, they are considered to be the shipper and if
things go sideways they will step in to resolve the problem.  The other
thing is that, since it was packed by a UPS agent, they are less likely
to reject a claim because the item was not packed adequately.

The USPS must be doing a better job at being competitive, as I'm seeing
more and more goods that I order shipped that way rather than by UPS.
FedEx sometimes uses the arrangement whereby they ship the item through
their own channels to a point near its destination, then dump it into
the postal system for delivery.  I'm not sure how this saves money, but
it must.

72/73 de Jim - AD6CW