Hi,

Having build a number of Elecraft kits, I thought I would try to
tackle repairing my answering machine.  Why not? It's this or buy a
new one and it might be fun to try and repair it first, despite now
having to expose my ignorance here.  When a call comes in, the
answering machine subsystem resets itself on every ring, so something
in the power isolation between the ring signal and the rest of the
hardware would seem to be the problem.

The Panasonic KX-TS602B phone actually has a number of through-hole
components on it's boards and is well labelled.  Right next to the
ring input is the component in the image linked below.  At first, I
thought it was a diode, but this feeds in to a set of 4 smaller diodes
which is probably the AC/DC rectifier for the ring signal.  So, this
is either a capacitor or an inductor, right?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/motivatedturnip/5802121100

Next to the holes for this component is a label "SA102" and there is a
directionality arrow pointing from the orange band to the grey band.
There is a part with identical markings near the DC power input, and
it has the label "SA101".  My multimeter measures this part as an open
circuit, regardless of settings (resistor, capacitor, diode in both
directions), so it might actually be the culprit.

Can anyone help me identify what this part is, so I can look for a
replacement?  Once you stop laughing, that is ;-)

--
73, Byron N6NUL
----