Ed,

An approach which I have used for many years which keeps me sane (?) is to
use a homebrewed box containing rotary switches to select which rig or which
connector of a rig should be connected to the key (or which key), mic,
phones, loudspeaker or whatever. IIRC the generic term for such a device is
a 'breakout box', which I believe is usually associated with audio circuits.
It can also be used to control coax relays to select which TX or RX is
connected to an antenna's feeder, or which feeder if more than one leaves
the shack, also control remote antenna selectors (coax relays). The
possibilities are endless :-)

I find that such a 'box' helps greatly when hopping between HF and UHF for
example, and it removes the need to struggle with connectors.

73,
Geoff
GM4ESD

On June 20, 2011 at 18:12 Z, Edward R. Cole wrote:

> Having struggled with cable changes to connectors on the back of
> radios for years, my solution, when I built my current ham shack, was
> to space my radio table out from the wall 2 feet to allow access
> behind the equipment.  My radio cabinet is now three shelves above
> the table top.  I bought some ordinary peg board (with all the holes)
> attached to behind the table to floor level and attach wiring runs
> with tywraps thru the holes.

<snip>