From: elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net
[mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of Don Wilhelm
Sent: Wednesday, June 22, 2011 5:03 PM
To: 'Elecraft'
Subject: [Elecraft] USB to Serial adapter that works

  Hi,

As part of my preparation for Field Day, I was configuring my laptop to
run the K3 (I normally use a desktop).
I was reminded that I needed a USB to serial adapter, and all I thought
I had was a couple cheap prolific adapters.

Then I remember I had an older 4 port USB to serial converter - an
EdgePort/4 from InsideOut, but the drivers I had worked only with Win2K
- I went searching, and found that Digi is now producing what appears to
be the same EdgePort adapters (converters), so I looked for and found
their drivers.

All I can say is that this EdgePort/4 works like a champ, and the new
drivers did indeed work.  I was even able to run my K2 through it with
Ham Radio Deluxe, and I know that the K2 gives problems with other
adapters I have used.

So if anyone is looking for a good USB to serial adapter (single or
multiport), take a look at the EdgePort  The new ones by Digi are quite
pricey, but some auction sites have the older ones by InsideOut (IO)
priced very low.

These are devices intended for commercial use rather than consumer, and
I now have 4 serial ports on my XP laptop that actually work.

73,
Don W3FPR