I get this while in TX test mode, 5W, 100W, anything.

And yes this squeal is only present when the 100W amp is physically
installed (KPA nor or not inst in the config menu)

The squeal is present constantly when in TX mode. The ticking I was
describing was keying up the radio in QSK CW with some dits and dahs.
There's a pretty profound click between RX and TX. If I key the radio up in
LSB in TX test mode the squeal is present 100% of the time while in TX, no
matter if there's modulation, power going out, etc.

I'll do my best to see if anything is arcing.

And to an unnamed comment earlier on, I can hear this squeal at the other
end of a decent sized room, I'm not making this stuff up.

AB3LS

> On Fri, Jul 1, 2011 at 1:37 PM, Geoffrey Mackenzie-Kennedy <
> gm4...@btinternet.com> wrote:
>
>> Geoff,
>>
>> It struck me when the squeal was first mentioned that something might be
>> arcing over.  If I understand correctly the squeal appears only when the
>> 100w TX amp is - which narrows the search if arcing is the cause.
>>
>> If the 12 KHz squeal is present only when a tic is generated, and if
>> arcing is the cause of the squeal, then a possible reason why this occurs is
>> that the voltage in some circuit is ramping up to a voltage every 270 msec
>> sufficient to cause something to arc over, which is heard as a tic plus
>> squeal.
>>
>> It might be worth looking inside your K3 in a dark room.
>>
>> 73,
>> Geoff
>> GM4ESD
>>

>> On Friday, July 01, 2011 at 6:24 AM, Geoff Wolf AB3LS wrote:
>>
>>  This is a brand new K3 that I assembled about a month ago. The Serial
>>> Number
>>> is 5517.
>>>
>>> I have been using an Astron SS-25A power supply with this which is indeed
>>> switcher. I have a battery that I'll be hooking up to it to see if this