I enjoyed your video very much Stan.  Thanks for posting it.  It's great to
see the little K1 in action and working DX with 5W.  I use a Buddistick
antenna with quite some success.  Like you, I prefer the simplicity of a
simple wire over a tree for portable work, but I enjoy working from desert
country, where there aren't many trees, so for  little expeditions into
nowhere, these verticals have an especially useful position in my antenna
wardrobe.  I hadn't heard of the HFp, but I'll give it a look now.

Incidentally, although these short verticals with a couple of radials model
as being quite inefficient, I've found they do work well in practice.  From
VK7, I've worked a station in the UK on SSB phone - I was running only 5W
into my Buddistick we had a chat for over 30 minutes on 20m.   I've also
worked a paedestrian mobile station in the UK  - I  was running 40W into the
Buddistick with a single radial.  The amazing thing was that the paedestrian
mobile station was running 500mW, all on SSB phone!

That taught me to treat gloomy predications about "compromised" or
"inefficient" antennas with a grain of salt.  It all depends on propagation.

Great video.  Thanks Stan,

73,
John
VK7JB