From: elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net
[mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of Rick Prather
Sent: Thursday, July 07, 2011 10:35 AM
To: Scott Prather
Cc: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] MCU Load Failure w/FW 4.36 or 4.39

Just to double check, are you clicking "Send All New Firmware to K3"  and
not just loading the MCU?

Rick
K6LE

On 7/6/2011, at 9:52 , Scott Prather wrote:

> I've been running FW 4.25 for some time now, primarily because there
wasn't any compelling reason for me to upgrade. However, this evening when I
saw Wayne's announcement for 4.39 I thought I'd give it a try.
Unfortunately, I ran into an unusual problem.

> I've installed FW dozens of times over the past three years that I've had
the K3, and never once saw a FW failure until this evening. The K3 Utility
begins loading 4.39 MCU, and when it gets to the point at which the utility
invokes an MCU reset, nothing happens and the K3 Utility loses communication
with the K3. Manually placing the K3 into the MCU load mode and restarting
the K3 Utility was required to re-enable communications. I ran the loader
again, and it failed the same way. Next, I tried to load 4.25, and the
entire process ran through to completion without a problem. But if I try to
load any FW above 4.25, the process always fails the MCU load at the MCU
reset stage.

> My K3 is an early serial number (early 200's), has the KXV3, KRX3, KPA3,
KAT3 options, and I have the P3 (but no KPA500). I'm running the K3 Utility
1.4.4.25 on Windows 7 with a "real" serial port.