Having been reading and tinkering with things "radio" since the late 1940's,
I've come to the conclusion that virtually every significant concept we use
in our radios today was known by the late 1920's. Much of that work was
driven by the "space race" of the 1900 to 1930 era - the rush to have
reliable radio communications linking all of industrialized countries of the
globe.

Ever since then it's been a matter of developing the components to better
exploit those concepts.

Even SSB was well understood by 1930, not to mention FM, radar and
television and phase modulation techniques. Before 1930, Hidetsugu Yagi and
Shintaro Uda had completed the design of their famous "wave projector
antenna" in Japan - the antenna we know today as simply a "Yagi" - employing
the dipole antenna developed by Heinrich Hertz in the 1880's. Of course,
Marconi pioneered and defined the grounded end-fed antenna over that same
span of years. They were just a couple of examples, not to ignore giants
like Harold Beverage and others who put into practical use every sort of
"antenna" we use today.

Some concepts still thought of as leading edge today, such as spread
spectrum and frequency hopping schemes, were defined before 1920, although
it did take "pinup girl"/popular actress (and less well known to her
admiring public as a skilled electronic engineer) Hedy Lamaar to describe a
practical system in the 1940's.

It seems that, in radio, a veritable explosion of invention took place over
just a few decades spanning the turn of the 19th century. Everything since
has been simply developing the technology to best exploit those inventions.

It's not just radio. Our automobile engines haven't changed except in the
components used either and, of course, electric cars were not unusual on the
roads of 1900 with their future simply awaiting better battery technology.

73,

Ron AC7AC