FYI,
I don't want to open up a 'can of worms', and Rob Sherwood could better speak
to this, but this is an observation I made using a P-3.

Not long ago, there was quite a string of threads about the 5 pole 2.7 Khz
roofing filter versus the 8 pole 2.8 Khz filter. Before I ordered my K-3, I had
studied the filter skirts of each. I don't remember how I found the plot for
the 5 pole filter, but I remember that the span of each was different. At the
same span width, the 2.8 Khz filter skirts seemed to me to be considerably
straighter when compared to the 2.7 Khz filter, so I ordered the 2.8 filter.

The other day, I was on a qso with a group and while watching the SSB signal on
the P-3, I noticed a carrier much taller appear right on the edge of the filter
bandwidth as shown by the brackets at the bottom of the P-3. The carrier was on
the far end of the filter, or 2.8 Khz away from the center frequency.

I could not hear it, but expected to, so I tuned over slightly to get it within
the filter bandwidth and heard it strongly. I seem to recall that a filter's
width is rated at something like 6 dB down, so I thought I would have heard it
within the skirts at their wider limits.  I still wonder about that, but I'm
very pleased.

(Just a comment; I'd hate to do without the P-3)

Richard Fjeld, n0ce
rpfj...@embarqmail.com
I'd rather be learning.