Hi Wayne,

I expect you are back by now. However it might still be of interest. I have
been using laptop type supplies for this application. Light, small, cheap
and some of them are relatively quiet. They will also fit in a small metal
box. Recently I came across LED lighting supplies, 12V again and similar to
laptops except they come with standard 2.1mm plugs.

For quiet and off grid applications, I use LiPo batteries, 3 or 4 cell. For
the KX3, 3 cells will do and can be re-charged with a cheap balance charger.
I have a small one to hand, 20x40x100mm 2.2Ah and a 4AH 4 cell 20x50x120mm.

My own application is powering portable microwave gear, but 12V is
universal. Fusing is essential of course as these cells will happily deliver
60Amps. They have a reputation for danger if you miss-charge them. But
people still fill up their cars with gasolene to go on holiday and that is
much more dangerous.

Mike