Larry,

As an "older-model" ham I have always understood KN to mean just what you
wrote.

Back in the Jurassic when I was first licensed (1946) in a country which was
still quite "rare" at the time (VQ8) it was not necessary to use KN, because
in my experience most people in those days would not break in nor call until
one had signed with the station being worked - a far cry from the brawls one
hears these days!

The use of INT before a Q signal was also standard practice if asking a
question, e.g. INT QRM, but sometimes for example QRM IMI would be used.

73,
Geoff
GM4ESD

On July 19, 2011 17:47 Z, Larry A. Waler KW4A wrote.