Reading all these associated posts over the past two days has been
heartwarming - because it's great to see that CW is being taken so
seriously by so many hams,  new and old alike.

But folks, "it is what it is and it ain't gonna change." This is my
opinion.

When a lot of us who are now on Social Security got our licenses,
society was made up of people with vastly different viewpoints compared
to today.  Back then, we grew up to respect rules, authority,
conventions, and so forth.  If your Elmer said, "do it like this" then
you just complied.  And it became habit.

Hams are just a subset of society and today, we've got us old geezers
all mixed in with the younger crowd.

Hence, "73s", inventive uses for prosigns, "di-dit di-dit" instead of
BT, using BK for virtually every transmission to avoid signing, six dits
in the figure '5', the letter 'o' for a zero, and something that seems
to be on the increase - dropping the 'de'.

So I just keep operating in my old fashioned way, striving for accuracy
and try to avoid picking up 'bad habits'.

73, Stan WB2LQF