The K3 is entirely different.  I've been operating SSB with a 1.5 kHz
bandwidth for three years now and it is perfectly intelligible.  On prior
radios, though, I couldn't even get a 2.1 kHz filter to sound intelligible
enough to be useful.  I think the difference is where the filter is located
relative to the signal.  In the K3, narrow filtering on SSB sounds best if
you simply reduce the HI CUT to get the desired bandwidth.  If you first
reduce the WIDTH, then you have to also adjust SHIFT to optimize
intelligibility.  (Note the word "intelligibility", not "high fidelity", the
emphasis being on communication and the ability to copy.)

You don't need to buy a crystal filter to try narrow SSB bandwidths.  Just
use the DSP HI CUT control.  If you find a narrow SSB bandwidth you like to
use regularly, AND also you need to protect the IF from very strong nearby
signals, then consider a crystal filter of the appropriate bandwidth, ahead
of the DSP.

Ed - W0YK