Ed,

If you switch between different roofing filters, does the "sweet spot" occur
at the same position of the "RF" Gain control knob or does it change? Also
does the noise / S meter dip by the same amount regardless of which filter
is in use, if not does the depth of dip increase or decrease when switching
from a wide bandwidth roofer to a narrow bandwidth roofer?

On another reflector there has been some discussion about "pileup mush"
which has been reported by only a small number of K3 owners, which problem
IMHO could well be caused by some roofers and the termination presented to
their output.  Your observations of a "sweet spot" *might* be related.

73,
Geoff
GM4ESD
(who must leave the List tomorrow!)