Thought I'd share my KRX3 install adventure.

Couple of missing parts came in Saturday evening,
(2) 1/4 inch spacers with internal 4-40 threading,
been another long hot day, is there any other kind here in West Texas?
so I decided to wait for Sunday when I was fresh.

Nice breakfast, a cool down shower, couple of sermons,
and many prayers later, it's time to let the games begin.

Started about 10:00am finished about 2:30pm
Took a couple of 15 minute breaks,
had a nice ~20min chat with my little sister on the phone,
a quick lunch and another short phone call interruption later,
It's time to button it back up and go for a smoke test.

So out of about 4.5 hours,
I probably actually worked for maybe 3 hours and a few minutes..

Powered it up and no smoke was released,
yea no circuit breakers popped.
after setting the menu items up,
to activate and configure the new items,
I ran the configure on the KSYN3.....

you guess it, no workie, lol
VCO error 00005

<insert deep sigh and more prayers>

back to the bench and take the lid off the rig,
using the trouble shooting guide,
to decipher the 'PLL2 error' code that appears on boot up,
I went looking for my mistake,

sure enough while paying soooooo.... much attention
to the routing of a couple of the internal TMP coaxial cables,
"essential to ensure proper signal isolation of main & sub receivers"
was the phrase that had caught *all* my attention.

I had missed the sentence in the step that said:
install TMP cable from KSYN3 J83 to KREF3 J1
(I wondered why I had 2 left over TMP cables) duh
but hey, there were different configuration options possible,
I just figured they had to do with the 'other' ways to wire things up.
*NOT*

I'd mention that all happened about the same time,
as my sisters phone call, but that would just be
making excuses, wouldn't it. >_sigh_<  <tough crowd huh?)

so it's back to install the missing cable,
replace the top and close the K3 up,
drag it back across the room to the operating desk,
hook up all 18 cables *AGAIN* (yea I counted em)

power up and *PRAISE* the *LORD* and pass the DX,
once again Elecraft has proven it's ability to engineer a rig,
that has, so far, proven to be immune,
to self inflicted maintenance problems,
created by the resident idiot/op.

Now to read and understand the 2 pages of different menu items
and the many possible ways to use the K3's 2nd receiver.

--
GB & 73
K5OAI