I was in the automotive and motorcycle industry for 30 years and we used to
refer to a "happy motor". Two identical motors can "feel" different. Both
can be producing to specs, but one just seems to be laboring to do it while
another is more "willing"...happy. I can't describe it, but we've all felt
it.

You probably hit on the difference Tim is experiencing. I don't know
anything about the 706 either, but I've had my share of Japanese rigs and
the K1 and K2 on CW just feel...happy! Heh heh heh.

Eric
KE6US