Gary,

That part has nothing to do with the filtering - the next step is to
convert both the I and Q signals to digital and do the manipulation
mathematically - that includes filtering, detection, and most other
signal processing functions.  The result is then converted to an analog
audio signal for the final amplification.

Yes, the amount of flexibility is limited only by the amount of DSP code
and speed of the DSP processing - all manner of "magic" can be performed
once the signal is placed into the digital "number soup".

That is the normal process for a Software Defined Radio - some use a
computer soundcard to do the digital/analog conversion and the processor
does the computation, but there is no reason why that process cannot be
done using a dedicated processor.  The K3 already works the same way,
but the frequency for the ADC is higher - that really makes little
difference.  Using the mixer to convert directly to baseband is quite
common in SDR receivers.  While we are getting close to the time when
direct digital sampling from the antenna is feasible, it is not yet
available at a price we would want to pay.

73,
Don W3FPR