I agree the information is hard to find. The Web site assumes you came there
because you already know what the product is. However, I found good
information in the online manual, which I'll quote here:

Introduction

Every Elecraft K2 internal option kit includes some parts that need to be
installed in the K2 itself.  Most options also require the removal or in
rare cases the replacement of some of the existing components in the K2.
With a few exceptions, the subsequent removal of an option requires the
restoration of some if not all of the altered circuitry back to its original
state.

Instead of reworking its PCBs, an easier way to restore the K2 is to do so
"off board".  Using this approach, headers that are wired with the necessary
"restoration" circuitry are inserted into the same jacks where the option
module would be if it were installed.

Getting the Most Out of Un-Modules

Un-modules are most useful when incorporated into the K2 during initial
assembly.  This requires that you have the extra "K2 parts" on hand that are
included with each of the options.  (For those options that you will be
buying later you will need to purchase duplicates of these parts in
advance.)  The un-modules would then remain installed until the
corresponding internal option module is purchased and/or built.

In this role, un-modules eliminate the need for any subsequent disassembly
of, and rework to the base K2.  Other than the insertion of the completed
option and any required realignment, there would be no need to go back
inside.

The elimination of later rework ought to be especially desirable to
builders-for-hire (and those who rely on them) as it offers the possibility
of adding many of the options one-by-one, without having to part with the
radio each time, while someone else performs the upgrade.  Even if all of
the internal options are never installed by the original owner, the use of
un-modules should still be a selling point adding to a K2's resale value (if
you should ever be willing to part with it).

Un-modules are also useful to the owner of an existing K2 because they make
it possible to perform all of the upgrades to the RF and Control boards "all
at once", without having to install any of the actual modules.  The rework
needed for the K2 options that don't require an un-module (KIO2, KPA-100,
and KBT2) can/should also be done as part of this process.

A Few Words About Rework

Eliminating a rework does more than just save you time.  All rework reduces
the quality and reliability of a circuit board.  This applies even when the
rework is done properly by professional assembly technicians using the best
equipment.  Clearly this motivation for the use of un-modules isn't
applicable to an existing K2.  However, it is a compelling justification for
anyone contemplating a new K2 build.

Hope this helps.

Craig
NZ0R