Hi Don (et. al.)

I put a fair amount of explanation of split operation in "The Elecraft
K3: Design, Configuration and Operation." You can see some of it by
going to
http://www.ke7x.com/home/guide-to-the-k3/chapter-3-1
and scrolling down to section 3.2.10.
Give it a try. It is very satisfying (at least to me) to figure out how
and where the dx is working and then to be able to jump in and work it.
I got the ST0 on 20m running barefoot with a dipole. (I do have the
advantage of the second receiver and a P3, though).
Good luck and 73,

Fred Cady, KE7X
fcady at ieee dot org
www.ke7x.com