Mike,

You do not *need* to purchase an additional filter, but you may want to.

If you want to listen to AM (not AMsync), then you would want a wider
filter - with AM, you need to have enough room for both sidebands and
the 2.7 kHz filter will limit the highest audio frequency demodulated to
about 1.4 kHz..

If you want to also transmit AM, I would suggest the 6 kHz filter, but
if you never will transmit AM, then I would suggest the 13 kHz filter
for SWL purposes.

Sync AM can use the 2.7 kHz filter because only one sideband will be
used at a time.

73,
Don W3FPR