I suppose the "click" - or in my case a "thump" - depends on the timing
of the "mute" signal from the controller and the value of the bypass
capacitor on pin 8 of the speaker amplifier.  The chip manufacturer
recommends 10 uF for the bypass capacitor but I notice that Elecraft
use 3.3 uF in the K3.  The manufacturer's data sheet shows:

      Cb (uF)              Ton (Ms)
       1.0                   120
       2.2                   120
       4.7                   200
      10.0                   440

The manufacturer's data sheet also calls for the time constant of the
input coupling capacitor and Ri+Rf (input and feedback resistors of
the amplifier) to be less than the turn on time set by Cb.  In the
K3,  I don't know how critical the ratio of input time constant to
turn on time is but the reference design has an input time constant
less that 5% of the turn on time while in the K3 the input time
constant is about 30% of the turn on time.

In addition, I suspect there may be some variation in early vs. late
production due to the change in the DC resistance of the RF choke in
the DC line feeding the speaker amplifier.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV