I grew up with Heathkit and built or repaired many of their products.
I learned a lot from them. (I would soon try my own hand at kit
design. Alas, the high price of 1970s-era TTL ICs doomed my digital
tach project.)

There was a Heathkit retail outlet at Grossmont Center, two miles from
my house in La Mesa. My high school friends and I would drop by
occasionally to drool over the all-Heath ham station on display. The
store's carefully dimmed ambient lighting enhanced the aristocratic
glow of the meter lamps, while the triband yagi on the roof never
failed to pull in strong DX stations on 15 meters. But in those days,
funded as we were by paper routes and push mowers, the dream seemed
far out of reach.

The sales counter, pristine and intimidatingly high, was staffed by a
clean-cut middle-aged man with a touch of gray at the sideburns. You
know the stereotype: pipe in one hand, soldering iron in the other, as
if he'd stepped right out of Heath's catalog. He politely denied my
credit application.

Wistful memories notwithstanding, the impending resurrection of
Heath's kit line reminds me of the story about a woolly mammoth that
drowned in icy waters some 10,000 years ago. Scientists found the
beast nearly intact, suspended in a block of ice somewhere in northern
Canada. Given the capricious nature of climate change, I suppose it
could just as easily have been western Michigan.

The mammoth was reasonably well-preserved. This elicited talk of a
revival attempt by the same sort of scientists who have themselves
quick-frozen upon their death, along with treasured artifacts like
their pipes and soldering irons.

Unfortunately, the best the team could do was thaw out a few small
steaks and serve them to the hopeful. I can just imagine the labored
grins on the faces of those hardy diners. We know from centuries of
native oral tradition that mammoth meat was a bit tough, even when
fresh.

But back to western Michigan. My wife's family has a cabin in
Ludington, a couple of hours north of Benton Harbor. We visit the
cabin every other summer to enjoy the miles of lonely beach along the
lake.

Next time we go there, you can bet we'll be detouring to take in the
Heath tour, which I hope includes a museum. I'd love to see my beloved
DX-20 transmitter, which hummed and sizzled and arced in a manner not
described in the literature, and which struck fear into the hearts of
nearby TV viewers in my ancestral La Mesa homeland.

With tongue firmly in cheek, and with appreciation for those who
bothered to read this far--

Wayne,
N6KR