Hi All,

Thanks for your suggestions and for the interesting discussion.  To close
the loop, here's some information about the solution, which I discovered by
accident:

More careful sleuthing showed that the issue was in the computer audio chain
(as I suspected) and not with the K3.  The artefact was present on the
soundcard audio output.   I tried another, older, laptop running XP, and
with the same USB Soundcard dongle connected and all other parameters
unchanged, and this time the problem was absent.

I then went back to the original laptop (running Win 7) and ran the latency
checker application.  All green bars, which didn't help me much.  I'm not
sure why, but I then decided to disable the computer's internal sound card
through device manager.  I had muted the mic input of the internal sound
card earlier, but hadn't disabled it.  Anyway, after that, the problem is
fixed.

So, using the USB soundcard dongle with the internal soundcard disabled, the
pops and clicks are gone.
I should explain that I need to use the dongle because this computer's own
soundcard has no line or mic in jack - it has an inbuilt mic, but no way of
routing an external audio source to the internal soundcard.

Thanks again to everyone for your suggestions, on and off the list.

73,

John
VK7JB