I made an attempt to plot the noise blanker performance and log the results
in an Excel spread sheet.  I found that the test was in valid so I used a
different approach.

The test involves using a function generator that's built into my Agilent
DSOX3024.  The generator is set for pulse mode with a 200mv P-P pulse
repeating 15.5 every 15ms.  The pulse rate is similar to a car with a bad
ignition system speeding by your ham shack.  To insure that there's no RF
getting back into my very expensive oscilloscope, I connected the generator
output to the K3's RX port.  The settings were adjusted by listing to the
noise at the speaker.

I determined that without the DSP or the I.F. noise blanker turned on there
are "sweet" spots and "hot" spots.  That is the sweet spots are where the
pulse width is adjusted so that the noise is minimum and the hot spots are
where the noise is maximum.   I found that every 70ns, there’s a sweet spot
and 35ns form the sweet spot there's a hot spot.  Adjusted the pulse width
from 20ns to 1 ms and the hot spots and sweet spots were right on target.

So what does this mean?  There conditions where you can have a motor, car or
any electrical device that generates a pulse with in the sweet spot will
never be heard on you K3.  On the other hand there are conditions where the
noise source generates a pulse width that’s with in the hot spot, will the
noise blanker effectively reduce the noise.

In my original test I didn’t know that there were sweet and hot spots.  I
ran the test by simply turning the NB and adjust the NB level.   My new
approach is a lot more simple and doesn’t require checking every sweet and
hot spot

All settings from NAR1 to NAR4 are totally useless.  It offered no noise
reduction regardless of the pulse width and pulse rate.   Settings from NAR5
to NAR7 were somewhat effective but the noise reduction was spotty and the
noise level would vary every 5 or 6 seconds.

MED 1 and 2 are useless settings and MED3 is spotty.  MED4 to MED7 reduces
the noise considerably.  The same is true for WID 1 and 2. usless!   WID3 is
spotty and WID4 to WID7 are the best settings.

http://elecraft.365791.n2.nabble.com/file/n6848682/k3_blkr.bmp

-----
Jack WA9FVP
Willco Electronics