Every morning a young guy in the neighborhood drives by in his wreck.  Just a
few minutes ago, as he drove by, I was fortunate to get an S meter reading
of S9 from his bad ignition system.  I was listening 20 meters using my K3
and a Hygain TH11 beam.  I setup my function generator to get an S9 level
and low and behold, the pulse level was 519mv.  I tried every combination of
pulse widths and rates but I concluded that the generator level is correct.
I can't beleive that a car can produce a 500mv pulse at the antenna or am I
missing something.

I'm thinking if I connect my oscilloscope  to the antenna as he drives by, I
can get a better idea of the pulse shape and amplitude.

Jack WA9FVP
Willco Electronics

-----
Jack WA9FVP