How are you setting the power level?

With most other radios, you should set power to 100 W (full power) on
the radio, and adjust the actual power level with the amount of drive
(volume) to the radio from the computer.

Not so with the K3.  With the K3, you should set the drive to show 4-5
bars (on the ALC scale) indicating proper audio input level, and adjust
the power using the "PWR" control knob.  I have not noticed this symptom
using this method.   Note, that the first 4-5 bars indicate audio imput
lelvel, and ALC starts with the 5th Bar.  Also, using the DATA Modes,
Compression and TX EQ are de-activated.

BTW, I use about 30 W for PSK, but in RTTY contest, I normally use full
100 W and monitor the PA temp.  SO far, I have not gone over abut 37-39
degrees C on the PA, usually stays around 34 deg.

Enjoy....

you may already be aware of all this, if so, I appologize for the band
width.

...bill  nr4c