Hi Chuck.

I had changed the connector and redid the joints and put fresh "and voltage checked" alkaline batteries. I was at 2.2 watts. r1.1 at 14060 as planned and yes you heard the call right it is KB7DPC but I heard nothing, that space on the dial was completely quiet. But a little later that evening I noticed that 14058 area was very busy with several fast code.

There are fires in the mountains but I don't think smoke interferes with transmission. I am guessing that since you heard me you are about 1200 miles away so I can see how just a couple of watts can work. At the HAM contest most guys commented that "life is too short to go without a kilowatt". Every one there had transceivers of 100 watts, so I pretty amazed with what a couple of watts can do.

Ok lets talk filter. I have been using the filter this way, all the way to 2.0 when searching for signals and all the way to 0.5 when sending. Is the filter in the circuit when sending???? I thought it would be in the circuit only when receiving.

RIT, still not sure even though reading several items on this one. but I have turned the RIT to OFF, when should it be turned on.

MC -- KB7DPC

Mike,
I heard your CQ on 14,060 at 0108 GMT (2008 CST or 2108 Eastern). The band
was fading in and out pretty bad I cranked up power to about 50 watts to
give you a reply.  I sure hope it was not wishful thinking but I copied
KB7DPC.
I copied you at about 439 to 559 depending on how the band was at the time
of your call.  If you did not hear me reply you may have your band filter
set too narrow.  I normally have my filter set to 2.0 unless the band is
really crowded, then as I continue the QSO I may narrow the filter a bit as
I fine tune.  Normally .75 to1.0 on my filter is fine.  I leave my RF gain
all the up all the time and only adjust the AF Gain a little bit during the
QSO , to a comfortable listening level.  When folks reply there is no real
guarantee that they will be zerod on your exact freq.   Plus the KX1 has a
hard wired 600Hz Transmit Offset, so if the filter is too narrow and you
have not turned on the RIT offset you may not be hearing the replies.

Man don't ask me how all this RIT XIT stuff works or how to set it cause I don't know.. I just know it is there and try to work with it. Someday when I can get a Eyeball QSO with some of these really big time Elmers like W3FPR
Don Wilhelm or N0SS Tom Hammond, I will pay them to give me a class on
setting my RIT, for now work around it.

I would have hung on the air longer and tried to catch you on 7060.  But
Thunderstorms rolled into the area and I had to shut down.   We are almost
there hand in there buddy we are going to make this work. Your CW speed and
spacing sounded pretty good easy copy except for the QSB (fading)

As far as your question about the KXAT1 improving reception.  It is my
understanding that the tuner is trying to match the impedance of the antenna to your radio by using CAP and inductors, in effect electronically lengthing or shortening the antenna for a match. The better the match the better the reception. If you got a reply that says something different I would like to
see it.
73 KI4DGH

Chuck Gehring