I've never seen an HF Yagi with an air core balun at the feed point. Such
baluns for HF were typically a foot or more square! (The only ones I ever
messed with were mounted in the shack to connect a single-ended rig output
to a balanced feed line.)

By the 1980s ferrite baluns were very commonly used almost everywhere, so
I'd put money on your having a ferrite balun on that yagi.

If the balun was abused, physically, with too much RF heating or by moisture
getting into the housing, it may be damaged. The same is true for traps.

73,

Ron AC7AC